Since I spend so much time in Carlotta (as I have named my Cavalier) I have decided that I will start using that time to get some 'reading' done. Now, don't worry, I'm not swerving down the road as I turn pages, I am investing in audio books. Most of them are pretty pricy at Borders, but there are some former bestsellers that are only $20 before my sweet employee discount. I think one every couple weeks is doable, and then I can sell them on eBay when I'm finished. My first attempt at this has been "The Virgin Suicides" by Jeffrey Eugenides.
I know, I know. Dark and depressing. I can't help it; my dark side manifests itself in the literature I read. And a former co-worker told me she loved it, so I decided to give it a whirl.
I just finished it; I was not impressed. Don't get me wrong, the writing was sensational. Eugenides knows how to paint a picture with his words, that's for sure. The book is full of impressive adjectives. But the story... well, the story just plain stunk.
It chronicles the lives of the five Lisben sisters, Lux, Mary, Terese, Bonnie, and Cecilia, growing up in an incredibly strict Catholic household. The story is told from the perspective of one of the many neighborhood boys that were completely obsessed with them. They watched their every move. (It's kind of creepy.) From a historical perspective (events occurring in the 1970's narrated in present time) the narrator is piecing together evidence through trinkets and interviews of the events leading up to the mass suicide frenzy the title indicates.
The book opens with the suicide of Cecilia, the youngest Lisben sister. It goes on to tell the tale of the Lisben parents withdrawing themselves and their four surviving daughters even further from society. When they finally agree to let their daughters go on a group date to the school Homecoming dance, the 'wild one', Lux, betrays their trust and breaks their rules. From that point on, the girls are pulled out of school and forbidden to leave the house for any reason. The book gives the impression that the neighbors had the Lisben house under constant surveillance to catch a glimpse of the strange family.
Finally, driven mad by captivity, the girls one by one... well, you know.
Basically, my thoughts are that I can handle depressing books if there is a good plot. But there wasn't enough of a story there. It reminded me of going to see a very mediocre (at best) play with beautiful, perfect set, backdrop, and props. No matter how well everything was decorated, the heart of the matter is that it just isn't worth it.
Having said that, though, I will probably still read "Middlesex." Like I said, I don't hate Jeffrey Eugenides' writing style, the story just wasn't for me.
THE WORLD LOOKS A LITTLE BIT BRIGHTER
3 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment